Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Our Fourth of July Weekend

Since we moved to Birmingham, Misha and I have really been spending a lot of quality time together. I mean, we really don't know anyone else up here! :-) It's good though - I think it has really helped us bond and depend on each other. It's been good for our first year of marriage.

Anyway, this is what our holiday weekend consisted of:

Date Night on Friday. This is me posing with the "Mariachi Band" outside the Mexican restaurant that we ate at. We also went to see "The Back-Up Plan" with Jennifer Lopez. It was all about pregnancy - definitely a chick flick - but pretty funny. It was really funny watching Misha during the movie. LOL!


Misha was really happy b/c they had flan. He loves that stuff.
Me...not so much.


Saturday, we mostly hung out around the house.
We did have our first tomato crop this weekend! YaY!!!


We are such an "old couple" because we went to Lowe's on a holiday weekend to purchase new window blinds for the house. Haha!
We also purchased a new bow & arrow target for Misha to practice on.


So Sunday we went to morning church services and then got into some interesting things that afternoon. We went to a flea market (hilarious - I love to people watch there - you see some really interesting things) then Misha got the crazy idea that he wanted a rooster. Where this came from...I have no idea. Anyway, we went to a local farm and bought a rooster. The guy was really nice and gave us some fresh farm eggs too.


I named the rooster Henry, although I know you're not supposed to name the farm animals. Henry did not make it very long in our yard.
I'll spare you the details.


Sunday night we enjoyed the fireworks in downtown Homewood. It was so nice! We had a picnic of turkery burgers, strawberries, and blueberries. There was live music, a ton of people, great fireworks, and a very patriotic spirit. Didn't get that good of a picture of the fireworks though. I even had the camera on the fireworks setting. Oh well!


Me & Mish


Misha's interpretation of fireworks. Haha!


Misha was off work Monday so we spent the whole day together. He made a traditional Ukrainian dish called green borsch. It has spinach, potatoes, rice, mushrooms, and......chicken. Need I say more? Anyway, Monday afternoon we went for a hike at Moss Rock Preserve and came across TONS of ripe wild blackberries!!!!! YUM! We picked (and ate) at least four handfuls each plus the ones you see here. We are going back later this week with a basket! Hopefully they won't be dried up. I want to make a blackberry cobbler!!!


Well, that's it. That was our Fourth.
This week I'm concentrating on my workouts, doing some business marketing research, and refinishing two pieces of furniture.

Who knows....it may be blogged about!












4 comments:

  1. Are you trying to say that the rooster, "harry" lasted less than 24 hours in your yard? Where do you live, Wild Kingdom?! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I don't even think it was an hour. My husband cracks me up. Kinda country, but the chicken soup WAS really good - I just didn't eat the chicken. Funny, yesterday he came home with SIX more. This guy was giving them away on craigslist.com and Misha decided to take him up on that offer. You know the song "Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams? I have come to find out that this is Misha. Gotta love him though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's so neat that you guys are in a "foreign" place for the first year of marriage. I tried so hard to get Zach to move away for a year but obviously I lost that battle! We were still able to establish boundaries with the fam and all but I think it would have been easier to do if we went away then moved back ya know? And how fun to get to show Misha all the American traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's good for us. There are pros and cons that go along with it, but you find that's true for everything. It is a good bonding experience for us...sometimes I just wish we were a little closer to family & friends. Anyway, we'll see where life takes us. :-)

    ReplyDelete