Thursday, July 1, 2010

Compliments of our Garden

Yesterday I went out to our garden to check on everything. We've been having some bad storms lately and it has really taken a toll on our garden. It took out some of the squash plants and basically flattened all the potato plants. We also have a huge pecan tree limb down in our front yard.


That happened while I was in Florida for Alona's Baby Shower. It was funny b/c Misha and I were joking that every time I leave and come back SOMETHING gets messed up. Whether it's the house (Misha blames it on Bugira, but really it's him doing something like shooting his BB gun in our basement), the yard, whatever....something ALWAYS happens.

Anyway, as I was saying, I went out to the garden to check on things. I cleaned it up a little bit and I still need to pull weeds - which I HATE pulling weeds! UGH! But I guess it's part of it. As I was cleaning out around the potato plants, I decided to check and see if we still had any potatoes that weathered the storms. I mean, the potato plants were flattened, but were still alive and potatoes are underground, right?

Well, check out what I found!!!



All these potatoes are from just a few of our plants.
I dug up an entire bucket full!



After washing them off. We have sooooo many!



This is part of what we had for dinner last night.
Everything in this dish is from our garden
(except the Smart Balance Butter that we use).
New Potatoes + Dill + Parsley = YUMMY


So far we have enjoyed new potatoes, summer squash, bell peppers, peas, cucumbers, dill, parsley, basil, and mint all compliments of our garden. We will have tomatoes very soon. We have five tomato plants and there must be at least 20 - 30 green tomatoes on just those plants. A few are beginning to ripen to a beautiful red color. We should have at least a few by the end of this week!


Well, my plans for the day are to cut & remove the pecan tree limb that is just chillin' there in our front yard. Going to mow our grass too! Better hop to it before it gets too hot outside. :-)


2 comments:

  1. The potatoes look so good! As did the dish you made out of them! You should definitely go ahead and pick some tomatoes and make fried green tomatoes. YUM. Me and Earl made some last night and they were so good! A little greasy (you know Earl and his fried food) but definitely very good! Post some pictures of the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been thinking about making Fried Green Tomatoes. Do you know how? Will you tell me how you & Earl made yours? I'll post some pictures of the house soon, I promise. I'm working on the pics from Washington DC. Misha's also keeping me busy with all of his "projects". I feel like a secretary.. :-)

    ReplyDelete