Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I got the JOB!

We moved to Birmingham in March of this year because Misha got a GREAT job offer to be a Nuclear Fuel Engineer with Southern Nuclear. This is the line of work he wanted to be in because it combines the nuclear engineering + the business side of things. Southern CO really takes care of their employees and has definitely taken really good care of us so far. Great benefits - health, dental, paid for all our moving expenses + more, provided a place for us to live for two weeks, provides a spouse employment program (which I'm not using for my job search, but I'm going to use them for my business plan development later), provides a FREE 24-hour nurse, and more! They have a nature/walking trail, gym & fitness center, and cafeteria for all their employees. Misha is off every other Friday too. He's already gone to Washington DC for business (I went too - details & pics to come) and will have to make several trips including San Fran, San Diego, and GEORGIA! Misha likes the job, we love the area we live in, and it's all really nice.

Anyway, all that being said, the focus of this blog entry was that I have been searching for a job here for four months. Jobs in the event planning field are hard to come by especially in this economy. I searched and searched and submitted my resume to seven places. I did interviews with 4 out of 7. The one that I really wanted was with a non-profit organization called Sav-A-Life. It seemed more down to Earth, relaxed, and flexible...plus it is a mission minded organization where I could "give back" instead of just trying to meet a quota or just plan conferences. Well, I got a call yesterday afternoon from their Executive Director offering me the EVENT PLANNER & OFFICE MANAGER position! I GOT THE JOB!!!!!







Here is what it's about:

Sav-A-Life is a mission minded pro-life organization that helps those in need make life-affirming decisions concerning their pregnancy. They also try to instill knowledge that brings needed restoration to their lives. Sav-A-Life has a pregnancy center that offers STD testing, pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, limited pre-natal care, counseling, and parenting classes...for FREE. They try to educate both the mother and father (usually just the mother) about options available to them rather than abortion. They have helped over 40,000 clients. They are a place that provides help & hope - physically, mentally, and spiritually. The above-all goal of Sav-A-Life is to reach out to these people in need and lead them to Christ through these services.














What a great place to work for! I can hardly believe that I will get to plan events that raises funds for this ministry! Now that is a worth-it cause!

Signing out for now ~ very excited & relieved about the job ~ DC details & pics to come as promised!




5 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you Missy! I know you will do amazing things at this place and touch many lives. And I'm sure many will touch yours. I can't wait to see and hear about this place! Love you so much! (blog looks really cute too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW thanks Susie-Q! I love getting comments on here. I guess I'm still fairly new and don't know too many people yet. Anyway, I'm really excited about it too. I can't wait to tell you everything. I get to plan events (dinner banquets, baby showers, board meetings, golf tournaments, etc) that raise funds for this place! How cool!!!! I hope you have a good day and rest of the week. What are you doing for the 4th? We get to work on Misha's car and put up window blinds. YaY :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok #1: Yay for posting!! (yeah, I totally need to do that every now and then too! oops!) #2: YAY for the job!! that is SUPER duper exciting! and #3: I miss you and hope that you are doing well... I just keep thinking about that awesome dinner we had the other week... such good fun! Can't wait to read of your adventures! ~L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AW! Thanks Lindsay!!! I'm pretty excited about the job. I think it's going to be very rewarding. I miss you too. The dinner we had the other week was AWESOME. I soooo love y'all! Maybe before I start the job, I can come down for one more visit. The fall is going to be pretty busy. Anyway, I'll keep posting. BTW, I always try to look at your blog to keep up things. It really is a great way to do it - you have pictures, etc. Anyway, love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops...I meant keep up WITH things. Forgot a word there. :-)

    ReplyDelete